How is an ROPP cap applied?…

What kind of machinery is used by our customers?

What kind of technical support might they need when switching to a new cap?

The machinery used to apply ROPP caps is called an ROPP capping machines. These machines are made by various companies mainly from Italy but also from other European Countries. Some of the names of machine manufacturers are Arol, Zalkin, Bertolaso, MBF, AVE, Rejves & Fimer.


The closures are put into a bulk hopper. The closures are then either blown by an air blower or a conveyor into the chute hopper.


When the closures are in the chute hopper they are turned the correct way by a rotary disc or by vibration they are then fed down the capper chute upside down. The closures are turned as they go through the chute so they are the correct way up to be picked up by the container as it passes through the chute pickup.



The closures are picked up from a chute by the container as it pass through the in-feed scroll, the bottle with the closures on then goes from the scroll through the inner star wheel and then into the centre star wheel.


The bottle is now in the correct position under the capping head. The capping head by way of a cam is then lowered onto the top of the bottle to apply the closure.

The ROPP closures is applied using an ROPP capping head, generally the capping head has 2  threading rollers which forms the thread on the cap from the thread on the bottle finish  at the same time the 2 tuck under rollers form the tuck under which ensures the TE (tamper evident) part of the closure.


The seal of the closure is also formed by either a flat pressure pad (generally for EPE liners) the flat pad forces the liner into the mouth of the bottle to create the seal between the closure and the bottle or a reform pressure pad generally for compound liners, the reform stretches the outside of the closure down the bottle mouth to create the seal between the closure and the bottle.


Capping heads Sometimes only have three rollers – two thread rollers and on tuck roller this is generally only used for closures under 28mm diameter.





Posted in: Aluminium ROPP FAQs